MADISON, NJ—Senior Tre Galloway III led the Gophers (3-10, Landmark 0-2) in scoring (15), assists (4) and steals (3) in a 68-65 loss to Drew on the road Saturday afternoon.
Freshman Keon Butler notched 14 points and seven rebounds – both career-highs – while senior Jesse Mondry chipped in with 13 points, two rebounds and a block. Junior Elliot Wiley eclipsed a career-high at Goucher with 10 rebounds in the conference matchup.
Sophomore Darius Rieter, scored a game-high 23 points for the Drew offense, leading the Rangers (7-6, Landmark 1-1) in the game. Fellow sophomore Nate Aldrich scored 12 points and paced Drew with nine boards while senior Joey Feinberg distributed the ball around for seven assists coming off the bench.
How It Happened:
- The Gophers fell behind 10-2 in the opening three minutes, but rallied back to earn the lead 21-20 with 8:06 to go in the opening half.
- Over the remaining eight minutes, no team was able to muster more than a four-point lead over the other.
- The Rangers carried a 41-38 lead into the intermission.
- The first five minutes of the second half remained at a deadlock, with neither team getting a decisive lead over the other.
- Drew pulled ahead 60-50 with 11:12 remaining in the half following an Aldrich layup.
- Over the next six minutes, the Gophers went on a 10-2 run, bringing the game within one bucket, 62-60, with 5:49 to go in the game.
- Senior Chris Outing made one-of-two free throws with 2:52 left to bring Goucher within striking distance again, 67-65.
- Reiter scored the final point for Drew from the charity stripe with one second left on the clock to seal the game, 68-65.
- The Gophers faired better from the field over the course of the game, hitting 44.4% (24-of-54) of their shots compared the Rangers' 43.1% (25-of-58) shooting.
- Goucher maintained the advantage in free throw shooting (70.6% - 61.5%), rebounds (37-30) and points off turnovers (12-11).
The Gophers return to action at home on Wednesday at 7PM to take on Landmark foe, Juniata College (8-5, Landmark 0-2). In 18 matchups, Goucher holds a 7-11 record against the Eagles. However, in their last matchup in the Decker SRC, the Gophers beat Juniata, 60-54.