SCRANTON, PA – The Goucher College men's basketball (5-20, Landmark 2-12) team closed out the season with an 85-70 loss to the University of Scranton on the road Saturday.
Senior Jesse Mondry led the Gophers in his last game at Goucher with 21 points and six rebounds. The forward found his stroke from three-point range, dropping 5-of-8 from deep. Fellow senior Tre Galloway chipped in with 11 points, five rebounds, three assists and three steals.
Ethan Danzig and John Vitkus paced the Royals with 24 and 21 points, respectively. Vitkus also led the team with 11 rebounds in the game. Drew Shankweller added 10 points on offense for Scranton.
How It Happened:
- Goucher had the opportunity to complete the season sweep on the Royals in the first half, maintaining pace, 34-34, with only 4:19 to go in the first half.
- However, the Royals posted a burst of points at the end of the half to take a 43-36 lead into the intermission.
- The Gophers were unable to close the gap in the second half, despite shooting 45.8% from the field.
- Scranton outscored Goucher 42-34 in the second half to complete the victory, 85-70.
- The Royals shot 51.9% (28-of-54) from the field over the course of the game while the Gophers posted 44.2% (23-of-523) shooting.
- Goucher held an advantage in points off turnovers and fast break points in the game.
Coaches Thought: "The difference in the game was how Scranton converted their 10 offensive rebounds into 18 second chance points"
The Gophers end the season with a 5-20 record overall and an 2-12 record in Landmark Conference play.