WASHINGTON D.C. – The Goucher College men's lacrosse team (4-8, Landmark 1-3) lost a nail-biter against Landmark opponent, Catholic University of America, 12-11 in overtime.
Freshman Anthony Scarpola (Baltimore, Md.) led the Gophers in points scoring three goals and adding an assist. He also managed to pick up two groundballs. In his last two outings, the attackman from Baltimore has netted six goals for the Gophers, leading the team in Landmark Conference play.
Freshman Nick Patterson (East Lansing, Mich.) was 12-25 (48.0%) on the faceoff "X."
On the defensive end, junior Logan Winn (Pleasanton, Ca) had three groundballs and junior Pete Cost (Berwyn, Pa) collected two ground balls and two caused turnovers.
Junior Matt Messerle (Limerick, Pa.) earned 10 saves out of the 22 shots that came his way.
Catholic's junior Bennett Bradley scored five goals against the Gophers
Freshman goalkeeper for the Cardinals, Alex Mulyk, had 13 saves during the contest.
How It Happened:
- Bailey opened up the scoring for Goucher six minutes into the game.
- The Cardinals would go on to outscore the Gophers for the remainder of the first quarter 3-2.
- Goucher dominated the second quarter, going on a four-goal run taking the biggest lead of the game, 6-3.
- Catholic was able to score a quick goal before the half, bringing the score to 6-4 heading into the break.
- The Gophers were outscored in the third quarter 6-2, having the Cardinals lead 10-8 going into the fourth.
- Goucher scored three goals to take the lead, but Catholic scored with three minutes remaining to send the game into overtime.
- Catholic's senior Tim Kieth won the sudden-death victory with a goal for the Cardinals with 1:55 remaining in overtime.
- Catholic out ground balled Goucher 25-23.
- Both teams were 100% in the clearing game.
Goucher plays their final home game of the regular season this Saturday against Drew. The opening face-off for the Senior Day game will begin at 1PM.