TOWSON, Md. – The Goucher College men's lacrosse team (4-9, Landmark 1-4) fell 11-10 in overtime to Landmark opponent Drew University at home on Senior Day. The loss is Goucher's second consecutive loss in OT to a Landmark opponent.
Junior Ruel Ellis (Austin, Texas) led the Gophers in scoring on Saturday, finding the twine three times, marking his second hat trick of the 2017 season. The junior Texan was supported by the freshman duo of Matt Woodson (Timonium, Md.) and Anthony Scarpola (Baltimore, Md.) with two goals each. Woodson added two assists while Scarpola dished out one.
The Rangers were paced by freshman Kyle Macdonnell with a hat trick. His performance was supplemented by two-goal performances from junior Jack Crowley and fellow freshman Seamus O'Connor.
Freshman Nicholas Patterson (East Lansing, Mich.) continued to improve at the faceoff "x" winning 14-of-25 (56.0%) faceoffs. He also led the team with five ground balls. His counterpart, junior Joe Palmieri, won 10-of-20 faceoffs in the game.
Junior Matt Messerle (Limerick, Pa.) posted a game-high 10 saves for the Gophers while Drew's Teddy Sweeney made seven saves in the game.
How It Happened:
- The Rangers found the back of the net early, taking a 1-0 lead only 1:40 into the game.
- The Gophers answered with back-to-back goals from Scarpola and Prutting to take the lead.
- Drew scored once more to deadlock the game at the end of the first quarter.
- Goucher rattled off three consecutive goals to open the second quarter, but the Rangers stormed back to knot the game up again, 5-5.
- Ellis gave the Gophers an advantage at the end of the half, launching a rocket from the middle of the field to the upper deck of the cage. At the break, Goucher held the lead, 6-5.
- Scarpola and Ellis were back at it to open the second half, scoring for the Gophers.
- At the end of the third quarter, Goucher allowed three goals in rapid succession, eliminating their advantage.
- The two teams went back-and-forth in the final stanza, reaching no resolution after 60 minutes of play, sending the game to OT.
- Only 1:44 into to the extra period, O'Connor ended the game with a high to low shot for a goal from the slot.
- Goucher held an advantage in shots (40-37) and faceoffs (14-of-25).
- The Rangers bested the Gophers in ground balls (40-27), clears (16-14) and man-up goals (1-0).
The Gophers travel to Bethlehem, Pa. next Saturday to take on the Greyhounds at 1 p.m. in their Landmark Conference season finale. Since the two teams starting matching up in 2007, Goucher holds a 5-0 record against Moravian. In 2016, the Gophers dealt the Greyhounds a 22-14 loss. Junior Derek Bitzer (Doylestown, Pa.) netted a hat trick in the game.