BETHLAHEM, Pa. – The Goucher College men's lacrosse team (5-9, Landmark 2-4) took home a 9-5 win in a physical bout with Moravian Saturday evening on the road.
Juniors Ruel Ellis (Austin, Texas) and Leo Sementilli (Ellicott City, Md.) along with sophomore Zephan Harnish (Woodsboro, Md.) and freshman Matt Woodson (Timonium, Md.) uncorked two goals each in the Gophers' second Landmark win of the season. Sementilli and fellow junior Derek Bitzer (Doylestown, Pa.) led the team with two assists each.
Also chipping in on the distribution of the ball were Woodson, Ellis, and senior Jake Ziegler (Buffalo, N.Y.) with one apiece.
James Carroll paced the Greyhounds with a hat trick and three ground balls.
Messerle played 58 minutes in the game, making 13 saves on 17 shots faced. He was supplemented by freshman Alex Shields (Cockeysville, Md.), who made an appearance during a penalty issued to his teammate.
Kurt Dick made 11 saves in between the pipes for Moravian to lead the team.
How It Happened:
- The scoreboard remained empty until eight minutes into the game when Ellis found the back of the net to break the silence.
- Woodson added a goal soon after to increase the lead, 2-0.
- Carroll began his journey to a hat trick with 3:31 to go in the first, and the Greyhounds deadlocked the game prior the end of the opening stanza.
- Goucher opened the second quarter with two more goals before Carroll ended the run again, bringing the game to 4-3.
- The Gophers closed the half with back-to-back goals in the final 4:38 of the half.
- Goucher piled on to open the third quarter before Carroll sealed his hat trick on a man-up goal.
- Each team scored a goal in the fourth, but the Gophers held on to win the game, 9-5.
- Goucher struggled at the face-off "x", winning only 6-of-18 opportunities.
- The Gophers held an advantage in shots (38-33), ground balls (39-35), clears (15-13) and man-up goals (2-1).