Posted: Nov 05, 2016
SCRANTON, PA.- The Gophers men's swim program was hoping to rebound in the Landmark Conference standings today when they faced the University of Scranton, but the Royals dominated, placing first in all 13 events. The final score was 150-55. The loss puts the Gophers record at 1-4 on the 2016 season.
· Freshman David Merworth (Fort Worth, TX/homeschooled), freshman Jacy MacConvery (Lilburn, Ga./Parkview), juniorJerel McCord (Ft. Wayne, In./Southside), sophomore Blake Rhodes (Saint Charles, Mo./ St. Charles West) touched the wall in 3rd place in the 400 Medley Relay (4:02.79).
· Senior Ben Shriner (Arlington, Ma./Arlington), while improving upon his time from last week, was narrowly edged out earning 2nd place for the Gophers in the 1000 Free (11:06.88).
· Rhodes was 2nd to touch in the 50 Freestyle todayin a time of :23.32.
· MacConvery was strong enough to keep the Royals from sweeping the 200 IM (2:20.56), taking 3rd place.
· McCord finished second in the 100 Fly (:56.67).
· Rhodes fought hard in the 100 Free to take 3rd in a race that came down to the finish (:51.91).
· Merworth hit the pad second as he finished the 100 Backstroke (1:03.97).
· Shriner grabbed another second in the men's 500 Free (5.26.27).
· Senior Joseph Hughes was the last of the Gophers' top performances as he finished in third place in the 100 Breaststroke (1:15.61) in the teams efforts against the Royals.
The Gophers will return to action again on November 18th when they travel to Lebanon Valley College for a 6:00 pm meet.