BALTIMORE, Md. – Mandile Mpofu (Harare, Zimbabwe/Arundel School) helped Goucher College take five of the six singles matches and clinched a 6-3 victory against Catholic University of America in Landmark Conference women's tennis action on Wednesday.
After falling behind 2-1 after doubles, Mpofu was the fourth singles match to finish in the Gophers favor with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 decision at No. 2 singles to give Goucher its second conference win of the year. Mpofu and Anais Gill (Cambridge, England/Hills Road Sixth Form College) earned an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles to earn a point for doubles.
Gill tied the team match at 2 with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles. Katie Marzerka (Wolfebotro, N.H./Kingswood Regional) gave the Gophers the lead they would not relinquish with a 6-0, 6-1 decision at No. 5 singles. DeJaeger earned a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles to set up Mpofu decisive match.
Hill gave the squad six team points after a 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 win at No. 3 singles.
Hill and DeJaeger lost 8-5 at No. 2 doubles and Ali Tomasevich (Harleysville, Pa./Souderton) and Morgan Hartman (Woodstock, Vt./Woodstock Union) dropped an 8-6 match at No. 3 doubles. Kyoko Kinoshita (Tokyo, Japan/Tilton School [N.H.]) battled for three sets, but fell 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (8-6) at No. 6 singles.
Goucher returns to action on Saturday at home against Susquehanna University. Match time is 1 p.m. The Gophers will honor seniors Tomasevich and Meera Balasubramanian (Bel Air, Md./Oldfields School) before the match.
1. (GC) Anais Gill/Mandile Mpofu defeats (CU) Erin Cole/Brooke Simonson, 8-5
2. (CU) Grace Connell/Liz Ast defeats (GC) Haddie Hill/Tes DeJaeger, 8-5
3. (CU) Lisa Genadry/Colleen McLaughlin defeats Ali Tomasevich/Morgan Hartman, 8-6
1. (GC) Anais Gill defeats (CU) Erin Cole, 6-1, 6-1
2. (GC) Mandile Mpofu defeats (CU) Brooke Simonson, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
3. (GC) Haddie Hill defeats (CU) Grace Connell, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
4. (GC) Tes DeJaeger defeats (CU) Liz Ast, 6-2, 6-1
5. (GC) Katie Marzerka defeats (CU) Lisa Genadry, 6-0, 6-1
6. (CU) Colleen McLaughlin defeats (GC) Kyoko Kinoshita, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (8-6)