BRISTOL, VA—The Goucher College Equestrian team traveled to the Emory & Henry Tournament of Champions Winter Classic and placed third out of 15 teams on Saturday.
Most top teams leading each region within Zone IV were present for the Tournament of Champions on Saturday, possibly giving a preview of the Zone Championships to occur in April, deciding who earns the two coveted spots to Nationals. Goucher came out on top of the teams currently leading their regions from Zone IV with a score of 27, only one point behind the 2016 National Champions, SCAD. Randolph College took home first place in the event, and currently sits in second in Region II behind Bridgewater.
How It Happened:
- Junior Cary Hundley was the champion in the Open on the Flat for the Gophers.
- Senior Sarah Lummis place fourth in the Intermediate on the Flat while fellow senior Alison Radgowski placed fifth in Intermediate Over Fences.
- Lummis placed first in Novice Over Fences and junior Clea Lerner took sixth in Novice on the Flat.
- Sophomore Wren Wakeman took home first in the Walk/Trot/Canter category with junior Rachel Brannock placing seventh in the Walk/Trot event.
- Radgowski earned third High Medal while Lummis earned sixth in Low Medals and freshman Courtney Sloan received seventh in the same category.
The Goucher equestrian team is off until February 28th when it travels to Gaithersburg, MD to compete in the American IHSA Show at the University of Maryland.