GREENSBORO, N.C. - In wet conditions, the Goucher College equestrian team finished just short of a spot into Nationals as a team on Saturday, as the Gophers placed third at the 2018 IHSA Zone IV Championships, which were held at the Sedgefield Showgrounds.
On the day, St. Andrews took the top spot as a team with 39 points, which was followed by Virginia Tech with 36 points. Goucher placed third with 32 points.
Individually for the Gophers, senior Cary Hundley (Ellicott City, Md.) was impressive yet again.
Overall, Hundley finished second in the Cacchione Class at the show, qualifying her for the premier Cacchione Class at the National Championships in May. With the qualification, Hundley will be one of just 24 riders to compete for the Cacchione Cup.
On the day Saturday, Hundley was first in Team Open Fences, sixth in Individual Open Fences, fourth in Team Open Flat and 10th in Individual Open Flat. Meanwhile, sophomore Rena DiPaula (Westminster, Md.) was second in Intermediate Fences and 10th in Individual Novice Fences.
Other top performers for Goucher were as follows:
- Sophomore Annika Field (Clinton, Wash.), fourth in team novice fences
- Junior Wren Wakeman (Addison, Maine), third in team walk trot canter
- First year Sarah Edmunds (Lancaster, Pa.), fifth in Individual Open fences
- Senior Kate Matthews (Concord, Mass.), seventh in individual walk trot canter
- Senior Ashley Edwards (Leonardtown, Md.), eighth in individual walk trot canter
- Sophomore Courtney Sloan (Annadale, Va.), fourth in team novice flat
- Senior Clea Lerner (Los Angeles, Calif.), fourth in team intermediate flat
- Sophomore Cherise Madrid (Braintree, Mass.), third in team walk trot
- Senior Kyle Kihn (Boulder, Colo.), 10th in individual walk trot
For more on the Goucher College equestrian team, follow the Gophers all year long on Instagram @goucherequestrian.