MIAMI, FL – The Goucher College men's basketball team (3-8, 0-1 Landmark) struggled in the second half in South Beach, falling to Alvernia University, 67-44, in the 2016 Hoop MIA Holiday Slam.
Junior Mike Miller scored 17 points, 15 of which came from three-point range, pacing the Crusaders. Senior Marquis Marshall and freshman Steve Pendleton nabbed a game-high six rebounds each.
How it happened:
- Goucher jumped out to an early 8-4 lead in the first five minutes.
- The Crusaders finally earned and maintained the lead with 2:09 to go in the first half.
- Alvernia ended the half on a 9-2 run, closing the period with a 29-22 lead.
- The Crusaders extended their lead in the opening minutes of the second half, starting on a 15-4 run.
- The Gophers battled over 5 minutes to generate an 8-2 run before allowing Alvernia to close the game, 67-44.
- Goucher struggled in the shooting game, hitting only 31.0% (18-of-58) from the field and only 9.1% (1-of-11) from behind the arc.
- The Crusaders shot 47.2% (25-of-53) from the field and 45.5% (10-of-22) from deep range.
"We struggled today shooting from the field and Alvernia took advantage of it. As well they shot well from the field in the second half."
The Gophers have a quick turnaround; playing again tomorrow in Miami, FL against Gwynedd Mercy University at 4PM. Goucher is 2-1 all-time against the Griffins. In the last matchup (2001-2002 season), Goucher won 74-64.