The GoucherMen's Basketball team (1-4) traveled to Pittsburgh, PA to face St. Vincent College (3-2) and lost 81-74. The Gophers trailed by 8 at halftime and were able to cut the lead to 1 with 8:41 in the second half after two free throws by Senior Jesse Mondry. The Bearcats then went on a 10-0 as they capitalized on four Gopher turnovers. St. Vincent outscored Goucher 38-32 in paint and 23 -18 in second chance points.
Senior Jesse Mondry led Goucher in scoring with 20 points, 9 rebounds and 4 assists. In addition junior Elliott Wiley contributed 18 points and 8 rebounds. Also, senior Tre Galloway contributed 11 points.
The Bearcats were led by Tom Kromka 21 points and 11 rebounds.
How It Happened:
· The Blazers had 17 offensive rebounds that led to 23 second chance points, while Gophers grabbed 16 that resulted in 18 second chance points.
· Goucher outscored St. Vincent 27 to 20 in points off of turnovers.
· The Blazers outscored the Gophers 38-32 in the paint.
· "We have a very difficult time right now controlling the defensive glass and we also don't take care of the ball, which is going to make it very difficult to win until we fix those aspects of our game"
· "I'm happy with how we competed to the very end, but we need recognize our errors, take responsibility, so we can commit to fixing our mistakes in order to improve as a team."
· "St. Vincent beat us in the paint and on the glass this afternoon, so they deserve a lot of credit because they used their size and strength to win the game."
· The Gophers return to action on Sunday, November 27 in the consolation against Mt. Aloysius or Carnegie Mellon at the Carnegie Mellon Tournament in Pittsburgh, PA. The Gophers will tip-off at 1:00 pm.