PITTSBURGH, PA. - The Goucher College(2-4) Men's Basketball overcame an 8 point halftime deficit against Mt. Aloysius College (0-5) this afternoon in Pittsburgh, PA to win the consolation game at the Carnegie Mellon tournament 90-72. The Gophers trailed by 8 at halftime and were able to take the lead at the 14:14 mark of the second half after a lay-up by Freshmen Keon Butler(10 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists). The Mounties never recovered as the Gophers outscored them 13-3 in the next four minutes to extend the lead to 11. Goucher outrebounded Mt. Aloysius 43-38 and outscored them in the paint 46-32.
Junior Elliott Wiley led four Gophers in double digit scoring with 18 points. Chris Outing (18 points 9 rebounds), Tre Galloway (13 points) and Butler were the additional scorers in double figures. In addition Senior Jesse Mondry contributed 9 points and 8 rebounds. In addition Wiley contributed 18 points and 8 rebounds.
Wiley was one of six players named to the Carnegie Mellon DoubleTree Tournament All-Tournamnet Team.
The Mounties were led by Troy Williams 22 points and 7 rebounds.
How It Happened:
· Goucher outscored Mt. Aloysius 17 to 10 in points off of turnovers.
· The Gophers outscored the Mounties 46-32 in the paint.
· Goucher outscored Mt. Aloysius 57-31 in the second half
· "Mt. Aloysius did a nice job of attacking us on the glass and with dribble penetration in the first half which gave them an 8 point lead"
· "I like how we responded at half-time. We were able to care of the ball, focused on our defense and rebounding which allowed us to control the game in the second half"
· The Gophers return to action on Tuesday, November 29 in their home opener against Eastern University. The Gophers will tip-off at 7:00 pm.