MIAMI, FL—The Goucher men's basketball team (3-9, LC 0-1) lost for the second time in as many days, falling to Eastern University, 82-62, in Miami, FL as part of the 2016 Hoop MIA Holiday Slam.
Junior Elliot Wiley led the Gophers with 18 points and six rebounds in the game. Freshman Dwayne Morton led the team on the boards, collecting seven rounds – a career-high for the guard.
Senior Cedric Elleby paced the Griffins in scoring with a game-high 24 points and seven rebounds. Fellow senior, Aaron Goodman, cleaned the glass with 10 rebounds for Gwynedd Mercy.
How it happened:
- The Griffins leaped out to an early 19-8 lead in the first seven minutes of the game before Goucher College head coach, Tom Rose, ended the rally with a timeout.
- Coming out of the timeout, the Gophers rattled off a 10-2 run to get within reaching distance of the Griffins, 21-18, with 10:45 to go in the half.
- Gwynned Mercy replied with an 11-2 run to create room and maintained that lead into the intermission, 51-34.
- Both teams were on fire in the first half with the Griffins shooting 57.1% (20-of-35) from the field and 58.3% (7-of-12) from behind the arc. Goucher shot 50.0% (14-of-28) overall and 55.6% (5-of-9) from 3PT land.
- The Griffins maintained their lead in the second half, continuing to shoot 44.8% (13-of-29).
- Goucher's shooters cooled off in the second period hitting only 25.0% (9-of-36) of its shots.
- As the final buzzer sounded, Gwynned Mercy maintained an 82-62 lead.
- The Gophers shot 35.9% (23-of-64) over the course of the game, compared to the Griffins' 51.6% (33-of-64).
"We need to improve our offensive and defensive execution. I thought they had stretches when they dominated us on both ends of the floor"
The Gophers have completed their game set in 2016 and will return to the court on January 7th, 2017 when they travel to Drew to take on the Rangers at 4PM. The series matchup between the two squads currently sits at 8-10 in favor of Drew. However, the last time the two met, Goucher toppled the Rangers 83-71 in the Decker SRC Arena.