Averett's OT Goal Knocks Eagles from Unbeaten Ranks

Averett's OT Goal Knocks Eagles from Unbeaten Ranks

Goal by Ingram with :30 Remaining Produces 6-6 Tie

FREDERICKSBURG, Va. — The number of undefeated Division III men's lacrosse teams was reduced by one this afternoon when Goucher's Rory Averett (Ivyland, Pa./Council Rock North) scored 41 seconds into overtime to provide the Gophers with a 7-6 victory over Mary Washington.

The two teams, which were never separated by more than one goal at any point during the game, were knotted up at 4-4 heading into the fourth quarter. The Eagles (4-1) claimed a 5-4 lead on an unassisted goal by Johnny Esposito 3:14 into the period, but an extra-man goal by Kyle Boncaro (Geneva, N.Y./Geneva) of the Gophers just 53 seconds later created a 5-5 tie.

The 5-5 deadlock held up until Luke Dick stuck his third goal of the contest with just 1:11 remaining in regulation, putting Mary Washington back on top. David Waligurski (Reading, Pa./Holy Name) won the ensuing faceoff to give Goucher possession of the ball and that led to a game-tying goal by Pierce Ingram (Austin, Texas/Westwood) with :30 showing on the clock.

The Eagles, who won 12 of the 16 faceoffs which were contested throughout the game, got first crack with the ball in the four-minute extra session, but lost possession on a turnover caused by Paul Taylor (San Antonio, Texas/St. Mary's Hall). After a ground ball pickup by Bryce Carson (Wyomissing, Pa./Lancaster Country Day School), the Gophers (7-1) requested a timeout. Once play resumed, it took them just 15 seconds to produce the game-winning goal by Averett, who caught a pass from Matt Lynch (Ivyland, Pa./LaSalle College), ran through a check and let loose from five yards out.

An unassisted goal by Lynch just 54 seconds into the contest staked Goucher to a quick 1-0 lead, but the Eagles came back with goals by Joey Marson and Dick to assume a 2-1 lead after one period.

Averett tied the game at 2-2 with an unassisted goal in the second quarter and a man-up goal by Sam Morgan (Wilmot, N.H./Kearsarge Regional) just 23 seconds into the second half wiped out the 3-2 advantage Mary Washington owned at the break. After the Eagles regained the lead on Dick's second goal of the day, it took an unassisted goal by Zachary Fratella (Wilmington, Del./Brandywine) to even the score at 4-4 through three periods.

Both starting goalkeepers were credited with nine saves. Goucher's Connor Mishaw (Wilmington, Del./Brandywine) had eight saves through the first three quarters, but only had to make one in the fourth period as the Eagles were able to get off only four shots. For Mary Washington, Matt Prin stopped two shots in the first 15 minutes and two more in the third quarter, but helped his team get to overtime by making five additional saves in the fourth period.