ASHLAND, VA. – The Goucher College men's lacrosse team (1-2, Landmark 0-0) fell on the road to the Yellow Jackets of Randolph-Macon, 12-8.
The Gophers came out strong during the first quarter, outscoring the Yellow Jackets 3-0. The goal scorer's for Goucher were Sophomore Zephan Harnish (Woodsboro, MD), Junior Derek Bitzer (Doylestown, PA) and Senior Nate Wilinski (Decatur, GA).
Randolph-Macon made a push back during the second quarter, outscoring the Gophers four to one, knotting the score up at 4-4 heading into the half.
During the third, Randolph-Macon went on a four goal-scoring streak over the span of five minutes. Goucher finished the quarter with two goals of their own, bringing the score to 8-7.
The Yellow Jackets dominated the fourth quarter scoring four goals in the opening minutes and holding Goucher to only one goal to seal the game.
How It Happened:
- Junior Pierce Bailey (Miami, FL) tied his career-high with three goals and lead the team in groundballs with four.
- Junior Matt Messerle (Limerick, PA) had nine saves off the 21 shots he faced.
- Four of Goucher's 11 man down's lead to goals for Randolph-Macon.
- Colin Disesa (three goals) and Miles Muncie (four goals and one assists) were the leading point scorers for the Yellow Jackets.
- Joe Maranto won 15-of-21 face-offs for Randolph-Macon.
"We started strong but made to many mistakes from the second period on that cost us chances at possessions. Randolph-Macon, to their credit, made us pay for our mistakes. We are excited to return home for our first home contest Wednesday night."
The Gophers will host McDaniel College next week Wednesday at 7PM. The Green Terror are coming off a 9-7 win against Birmingham Southern.