Posted: Mar 13, 2017
TOWSON, MD— The Goucher College men's lacrosse team (2-4, Landmark 0-0) was defeated this afternoon by the Fighting Scots of the College of Wooster, 9-5.
The Gophers had five different goal scorers in the game. Senior Jake Ziegler (Buffalo, NY) and junior Pierce Bailey ( Miami, FL) had a team-high of two points from one goal and one assist, each.
Junior Peter Cost (Berwyn, Pa) had three groundballs and one caused turnover, leading the Gopher defense.
Junior Matt Messerle (Limerick, PA) had 15 saves between the pipes today for the Gophers.
Senior CJ Polak led Wooster with five points from four goals and one assist.
On the defensive end, junior Jack Gilio led the Fighting Scots with three groundballs and four caused turnovers.
How It Happened:
- Wooster scored the only goal during the first quarter, taking an early lead.
- Wooster opened the second quarter with two goals within the first two minutes before Goucher could get on the board.
- Freshman Andrew Sade (Lewisberry, PA) scored the first goal for the Gophers, followed shortly after with another goal for senior Jake Ziegler (Buffalo, NY).
- Goucher out scored Wooster 3-2 during the third quarter with goals from Bailey, sophomore Zephan Harnish (Woodsboro, PA) and Freshman Matt Woodson (Timonium, MD).
- Wooster dominated the fourth quarter, not allowing the Gophers to score and netted three goals to seal the game.
- Wooster had 24 shots on goal while Goucher placed only nine shots on goal out of 31 total shots.
- Goucher was topped in groundballs by Wooster 38-22.
The Gophers play Bryn Athyn at home again this Wednesday, March 15th at 7PM.