BALTIMORE, Md.- The Goucher Gophers struggled to gain a foothold today at the vonBorries Aquatic Center as they fell to the Elizabethtown College Blue Jays in their dual meet by a 150-111 score.
How it Happened:
- David Merworth (Fort Worth, TX/homeschooled), Jacy MacConvery (Lilburn, Ga./Parkview), Jerel McCord (Ft. Wayne, In./Southside), Blake Rhodes (Saint Charles, Mo./ St. Charles West) earned a second place in the 400 Medley Relay (3:56.62).
- Senior Ben Shriner (Arlington, Ma./Arlington) claimed the Gophers first victory performance in the 1000 Free (11:12.22) as teammate MacConvery touched the wall in 3rd (11:50.90).
- McCord was able to break up the Blues Jays with a 3rd place in the 200 Freestyle (2:00.23).
- First-Year swimmer, Merworth, claimed his first victory in the 50 Backstroke (:26.91).
- Luke Hall (Gainesville, Fl./UF Dual Enroll) finished his 50 Breast in 3rd place (:34.96).
- McCord fought hard to a second place swim in the 100 Butterfly (:57.07).
- Second-year, Rhodes, was best in the 50 Freestyle today (:23.18).
- Adding to his string of victories, Rhodes, claimed the top spot in the 100 Free (:51.40).
- Merworth continued to excel, as the 100 Backstrokes leader (:57.28).
- Shriner again was victorious as he cruised his way in the men's 500 Free (5.25.58).
- With a 1st and 3rd finish, Rhodes and McCord split the Blue Jays with the 50 Fly (:25.37) and (:25.92).
- Merworth pushed hard to finish the 200 IM with a 3rd place performance (2:17.20).
- Gophers Andrew Rowland (Wilton, Ct./Wilton), Duncan Miller (Mount Airy, Ga./Parkview), Eli Gang (Highland Park, NJ/Goulda Och Academy), and Shriner took home a third place finish in their efforts against the Blue Jays.
What's Next: Goucher will swim against conference opponents the University of Scranton and Juniata College next Saturday when they travel to Scranton for a 1:00 pm meet.