WASHINGTON, D.C. — Goucher took over sole possession of first place in the Landmark Conference by knocking off Catholic, 8-1, today.
- The Gophers (10-4, 2-0 Landmark) upped their 2015-16 record in doubles competition to 29-13 (.691) with a sweep. Joey Caracappa (Smithtown, N.Y./Saddlebrook Preparatory School) and Seth Hoesman (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) joined forces at No. 1 to earn a 8-5 triumph overJuan Lorido and Rocky Alhagbani.
- Hoesman was also victorious in singles play, coming out on top 6-2, 6-1 at No. 3 over Matthew Holtschneider. It was the senior's 10th straight win, improving his record this season to 13-1.
- Midori Fujitani (Tokyo, Japan/International School Bangkok) earned the match-clinching point when he finished off Catholic's Rob Alexander 6-2, 6-2 at No. 5. Britt Shortle (Lake Mary, Fla./Trinity Preparatory School) was a 6-3, 6-3 winner over Ted Tiu at No. 6.
- Jack Hodges (London, England/Shrewsbury School) battled back from being down one set to record a 1-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory over Jan Lasota at No. 2.
- The Cardinals (3-5, 0-1 Landmark) picked up their lone point at No. 1 singles.
Goucher will play two Landmark Conference matches over the weekend, both on the road. The first one will be against Moravian at 1 p.m. Saturday; the second against Drew at the same time the following day.