KINGS POINT, N.Y. — Goucher completed an undefeated regular-season run through the Landmark Conference by downing the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, 9-0, this afternoon and, in the process, joined the 1998-99 squad as the only two in the history of the school's men's tennis program to win 16 matches in a season.
- The 6-0, 6-4 win by Midori Fujitani (Tokyo, Japan/International School Bangkok) over Geri Villan at fifth singles clinched the match. Fujitani improved to 17-2 in singles play in 2015-16 and is a perfect 9-0 at No. 5.
- The first singles match to finish was the one between Jack Hodges (London, England/Shrewsbury School) and Branden Deeter at No. 2. Hodges prevailed 6-0, 6-0, raising his 2015-16 singles record to 14-4. Fujitani and Hodges were 8-3 winners over Deeter and Josh Levitas at second doubles.
- Goucher's No. 1 doubles team of Joey Caracappa (Smithtown, N.Y./Saddlebrook Preparatory School) and Seth Hoesman (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) defeated Jake McDonough and Daniel Zakrevski, 8-3. Caracappa and McDonough met up again at first singles and Caracappa came out on top 6-2, 6-2.
- Hoesman disposed of Zakrevski 6-1, 6-2 at third singles, extending his winning streak in singles play to 16 consecutive matches.
- Elliot Diehl (York, Pa./York Suburban), the only freshman in Goucher's singles lineup, earned a point for the Gophers (16-4, 8-0 Landmark) with his 6-2, 6-2 victory over Levitas at No. 4, and partnered with freshman Josiah Meekins (Trenton, N.J./Princeton Day School) at No. 3 doubles for an 8-5 triumph over Villan and Jordan Kendall.
- The Mariners (5-5, 3-4 Landmark) won only one set during the singles competition, but Josh Goldberg (Centreville, Md./Queen Anne's County) was a 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (8) winner over Kendall at No. 6.
The Gophers are scheduled to play a non-conference match at Muhlenberg on Thursday at 3 p.m.