SALISBURY, MD – The Goucher College men's tennis team opened its spring season with a 5-4 loss to Bridgewater (VA) on Saturday at Salisbury University.
Goucher trailed 2-1 after doubles play, and was unable to recover in singles play despite wins in first, second and third singles.
How It Happened:
- The second doubles team of sophomore Elliot Diehl (York, PA) and freshman Michael Herman (Prague, Czech Republic) took home a win, 8-3, to open the match.
- Both first and third doubles fell to the Eagles, 9-7 and 8-5, respectively.
- Junior Jack Hodges (London, England) won at No. 1 singles after falling behind in the first set, 7-6. He rallied back and took the next two sets 6-1 and 6-4.
- Herman won at No. 2 singles in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-1.
- Freshman Frankie Mullinix (Washington, DC) won a third singles, battling with Bridgewater's Thomas Rishoff. He prevailed in the end, 10-6 during the tiebreaker.
- The Gophers fell at fourth, fifth and sixth singles, closing out the match 5-4.
Following a same-day matchup against Salisbury, the Gophers return to action on Sunday to take on regionally ranked (15th) Virginia Wesleyan at 5PM.