CHESTERTOWN, Md. - First-year Tetsuya Ota (Wesley Chapel, Fla.), senior Jack Hodges (London, England), and sophomore Frankie Mullinix (Washington, D.C.) were all two-time winners on the day, as the Goucher College men's tennis team earned a 6-3 victory at Washington College on Saturday afternoon.
The win, which was Goucher's first over Washington College since April of 2005, improved the Gophers' record on the year to 8-1. Washington College, who is ranked 18th in the ITA Division III Atlantic South Regional Rankings, fell to 0-3 with the defeat.
Goucher was led in the win by the top of their line-up at both singles and doubles.
First, in doubles, the tandem of Ota and Hodges rolled to an 8-1 win, which was followed up by an 8-4 victory by Mullinix and sophomore Michael Herman (Prague, Czech Republic) at number two. Up 2-0, Washington College came back in the third match of doubles, taking a 9-7 win.
But, in singles, Goucher won three matches in a row to clinch the victory.
First, at number one, Ota rolled to a 6-2, 6-3 victory. With the win, Ota remained unbeaten in dual matches on the year, pushing his record to 6-0.
Next up at number two, Hodges gutted out a three-set victory (6-2, 2-6, 6-4) to put Goucher up, 4-1, in the match. The win for Hodges was the 50th of his singles career, as he is now fifth all-time in program history in career singles victories.
Goucher then clinched the victory with a come-from-behind win by Mullinix at number four (2-6, 6-3, 6-3). The final victory of the day for the Gophers came at number five, as sophomore Slade Dumas (Great Falls, Va.) collected a straight-set triumph (6-3, 6-2) to give Goucher six points for the afternoon.
The Goucher College men's tennis team returns to action on Friday, as they travel to TCNJ. First serve is set for 3 p.m.
Goucher 6, Washington College 3
Mar 3, 2018, at Chestertown, Md. (Johnson Fitness Center)
1. Tetsuya Ota (GOUMTEN) def. Chris Salisbury (WC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jack Hodges (GOUMTEN) def. Luke Weaver (WC) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
3. Koby Bonta (WC) def. Michael Herman (GOUMTEN) 6-7, 7-5, 11-9
4. Frankie Mullinix (GOUMTEN) def. Kyle Hickey (WC) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Slade Dumas (GOUMTEN) def. Justin Panepinto (WC) 6-3, 6-2
6. August Meriot (WC) def. Elliot Diehl (GOUMTEN) 3-6, 6-4, 10-4
1. Jack Hodges/Tetsuya Ota (GOUMTEN) def. Justin Panepinto/Luke Weaver (WC) 8-1
2. Michael Herman/Frankie Mullinix (GOUMTEN) def. Kyle Hickey/Chris Salisbury (WC) 8-4
3. Andrew Smith/Koby Bonta (WC) def. Elliot Diehl/Slade Dumas (GOUMTEN) 9-7
Washington College 0-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,4,3,5,6)