TOWSON, Md. - In a rematch of the last three Landmark Conference Championship matches, the Goucher College men's tennis team made quick work of visiting Juniata on Saturday at home, as the Gophers blanked the Eagles, 9-0.
The win, which was Goucher's fifth in a row, improved the Gophers' record on the year to 17-3 overall and 4-0 in the Landmark Conference. Juniata fell to 7-6 and 2-1 in the Landmark with the defeat.
The roll for the Gophers began in doubles, where the 17th regionally-ranked Gophers rolled to a trio of victories to take a 3-0 lead into singles.
First, at number three, the tandem of junior Elliot Diehl (York, Pa.) and sophomore Slade Dumas (Great Falls, Va.) coasted to an 8-1 win, which was followed up by an 8-3 win by senior Jack Hodges (London, England) and first-year Tetsuya Ota (Winter Park, Fla.) at number one.
The doubles sweep was completed at number two by sophomores Michael Herman (Prague, Czech Republic) and Frankie Mullinix (Washington, D.C.) who pulled out an 8-5 victory to put the Gophers up, 3-0, on the day.
The domination continued for Goucher in singles, where not only did the Gophers win all six matches, but won them in straight sets. Each player who played in the doubles lineup for the Gophers won their match in singles, as Mullinix clinched the victory with a 6-1, 6-4 win at number four.
The Goucher College men's tennis team returns to action on Wednesday, as they travel to Catholic for a Landmark Conference contest. First serve is set for 3 p.m.
Goucher College 9, Juniata Men's Tennis 0
Apr 14, 2018 at Towson, Md. (Goucher Courts)
1. Tetsuya Ota (GOUMTEN) def. Matyas Kohout (JCMTEN17) 7-5, 6-1
2. Jack Hodges (GOUMTEN) def. Daichi McAuliffe-Uch (JCMTEN17) 6-1, 6-2
3. Michael Herman (GOUMTEN) def. Owen Grafe (JCMTEN17) 6-2, 7-6 (7-1)
4. Frankie Mullinix (GOUMTEN) def. Dan Ansel (JCMTEN17) 6-1, 6-4
5. Slade Dumas (GOUMTEN) def. Jason Gerber (JCMTEN17) 6-1, 6-2
6. Elliot Diehl (GOUMTEN) def. Rory Donaldson (JCMTEN17) 6-1, 6-2
1. Jack Hodges/Tetsuya Ota (GOUMTEN) def. Matyas Kohout/Dan Ansel (JCMTEN17) 8-3
2. Michael Herman/Frankie Mullinix (GOUMTEN) def. Owen Grafe/Jason Gerber (JCMTEN17) 8-5
3. Elliot Diehl/Slade Dumas (GOUMTEN) def. Rory Donaldson/Daichi McAuliffe-Uch (JCMTEN17) 8-1
Juniata Men's Tennis 7-6, 2-1 Landmark
Goucher College 17-3, 4-0 Landmark; Regional ranking #17
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,4,1,3,5,6)
Goucher Ranked 17th in Oracle/ITA South Atlantic Region Rankings