BALTIMORE, Md. – The Goucher College men's tennis team might not like Monday when the calendar changes to the month of April. The Gophers are 7-1 in the month of March and have won seven straight going into its big Landmark Conference match against the University of Scranton on Sunday. The team started its defense of the conference title with a 9-0 win against Drew University on Sunday.
Tetsuya Ota (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Saddlebrook Prep) and Michael Herman (Prague, Czech Republic/Gymnazium Nova Porg) won at No. 1 singles, 8-3. Frankie Mullinix (Washington, D.C./The George School) and Elliot Diehl (York, Pa./York Suburban) took care of business at No. 2 doubles 8-4 and Omosesan Adebamgbe (Philadelphia, Pa./Lower Merion) and Slade Dumas (Great Falls, Va./Dominion) won at No. 3 doubles, 8-3 to sweep doubles play.
Ota won at No. 1 singles 6-1, 6-1 and Herman dispensed his opponent at No. 2 singles 6-2, 6-0. Mullinix had the toughest singles match after being sent to a first-set tiebreaker, but he came away with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-0 win at No. 3 singles.
Dumas continues his hot streak of winning his last six singles and doubles matches for a 12-0 combined record after earning a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles for the clinching match for the current Landmark Conference Player of the Week.
Brian Kane (Philadelphia, Pa./Friends Select) earned a 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 5 singles and Diehl completed the 9-0 win with a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 6 singles.
Goucher returns to action against Scranton on Sunday. Match time is 1 p.m.
1. Tetsuya Ota (GC) def. Vineet Vemulapally (DC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Michael Herman (GC) def. Dan Blumenthal (DC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Frankie Mullinix (GC) def. Geoffrey Diehl (DC) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
4. Slade Dumas (GC) def. Will Morrison (DC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Brian Kane (GC) def. Karel Raska (DC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Elliot Diehl (GC) def. Lloyd Goldstein (DC) 6-2, 6-0
1. Tetsuya Ota/Michael Herman (GC) def. Vineet Vemulapally/Geoffrey Diehl (DC) 8-3
2. Frankie Mullinix/Elliot Diehl (GC) def. Will Morrison/Billy MacDonald (DC) 8-4
3. Omosesan Adebamgbe/Slade Dumas (GC) def. Dan Blumenthal/Karel Raska (DC) 8-3