BALTIMORE, Md. – Seniors Elliot Diehl (York, Pa./York Suburban) and Josiah Meekins (Trenton, N.J./Princeton Day School) have been a member of three Goucher College Landmark Conference men's tennis championship teams. The duo celebrated senior day by taking the first step in going for four conference titles by clinching a home game in the semifinals thanks to a 9-0 victory against Susquehanna University on Saturday.
It was only fitting that the two seniors play doubles together at No. 3 singles to post an 8-2 win to help the Gophers sweep doubles play. Meekins also earned a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles. Meekins improved to 24-8 in singles and 36-14 in doubles in his career while Diehl now boasts a 43-26 mark in singles and 52-26 record in tandem play.
With the victory, Goucher clinched a home match in the Landmark Conference semifinals on May 1. The Gophers complete conference play at Juniata on April 20 and can clinch home-court advantage throughout the postseason with a win against the 5-1 Eagles.
Tetsuya Ota (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Saddlebrook Prep) and Michael Herman (Prague, Czech Republic/Gymnazium Nova Porg) won at No. 1 doubles and Omosesan Adebamgbe (Philadelphia, Pa./Lower Merion) and Slade Dumas (Great Falls, Va./Dominion) took care of No. 2 doubles with an 8-2 decision.
Ota dispensed of No. 1 singles, 6-1, 6-1 and Herman won 6-1, 6-3 at No. 2 singles. Frankie Mullinix (Washington, D.C./The George School) and Dumas did not allow a game to its opponents in 6-0, 6-0 victories at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, respectively, while Brian Kane (Philadelphia, Pa./Friends Select) earned a 6-1, 6-1 decision at No. 5 singles.
Goucher returns to action on the road on Sunday at the College of New Jersey. Match time is 12 p.m.
1. (GC) Tetsuya Ota/Michael Herman defeats (SU) Alex Dove/Alex Cocolas, 8-1
2. (GC) Omosesan Adebamgbe/Slade Dumas defeats (SU) Ben Ornstein/Ryan Seibert, 8-2
3. (GC) Elliot Diehl/Josiah Meekins defeats (SU) Nick Meale/Emil Vyskoocil, 8-2
1. (GC) Tetsuya Ota defeats (SU) Ben Ornstein, 6-1, 6-1
2. (GC) Michael Herman defeats (SU) Alex Dove, 6-1, 6-3
3. (GC) Frankie Mullinix defeats (SU) Alex Cocolas, 6-0, 6-0
4. (GC) Slade Dumas defeats (SU) Emil Vyskocil, 6-0, 6-0
5. (GC) Brian Kane defeats (SU) Ethan Cooley, 6-1, 6-1
6. (GC) Josiah Meekins defeats (SU) Ashton Collins, 6-0, 6-0