EWING, N.J. – No. 29 College of New Jersey defeated Goucher College in non-conference men's tennis action on Sunday.
Tetsuya Ota (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Saddlebrook Prep) recovered after losing the first set 6-4 to take the final two sets 7-5, 6-0 to record the Gophers lone win on the day.
Frankie Mullinix (Washington, D.C./The George School) took the first set at No. 3 singles 6-3, but then lost the final two sets 6-0, 6-0. Slade Dumas (Great Falls, Va./Dominion) also won the first set in his No. 5 singles match 6-1 before dropping the final two sets 6-4, 6-3.
Omosesan Adebamgbe (Philadelphia, Pa./Lower Merion) battled in his first set at No. 4 singles to a tiebreaker, but fell 7-6 (7-5), 6-2.
In doubles play, Herman and Ota lost 8-5 at No. 1 doubles, Mullinix and Elliot Diehl (York, Pa./York Suburban) dropped an 8-2 match at No. 2 doubles while Dumas and Adebamgbe played a competitive No. 3 doubles match, falling 8-6. The Lions won the match, 8-1
Goucher returns to action on Saturday at Juniata. With a win, the Gophers can clinch home court advantage throughout the Landmark Conference Tournament. Match time is 1 p.m.
1. (CNJ) Matthew Michibata/Tim Gavornik defeats (GC) Michael Herman/Tetsuya Ota, 8-5
2. (CNJ) Mitchel Sanders/Gokul Murgesan defeats (GC) Frankie Mullinix/Elliot Diehl, 8-2
3. (CNJ) Matt Puig/Andrew Mok defeats (GC) Slade Dumas/Omosesan Adebamgbe, 8-6
1. (GC) Tetsuya Ota defeats (CNJ) Mitcel Sanders, 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
2. (CNJ) Matthew Michibata defeats (GC) Michael Herman, 6-1, 6-1
3. (CNJ) Justin Wain defeats (GC) Frankie Mullinix, 3-6, 6-0, 6-0
4. (CNJ) Tim Gavornik defeats (GC) Omosesan Adebamgbe 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
5. (CNJ) Matt Puig defeats (GC) Slade Dumas, 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. (CNJ) Achyuth Balijepalle defeats (GC) Brian Kane, 6-3, 7-5