SCRANTON, Pa. — Back and forth play ensued from the start as Goucher and Scranton were knotted at 3-3 with six minutes remaining in the opening half. The Royals then went on two spurts, scoring five straight and three straight goals on two separate occasions, to put away the Gophers, 12-6, this afternoon.
- An unassisted goal by Sophie Smith (Lawrenceville, N.J./Madison) tied the game up for the second time in the the first 23 minutes of the contest. Though, Scranton scored the next five goals, two from Christine Olert and Katie Rogers each, to take an 8-3 lead with 25:23 remaining in the second half.
- Ceri Miller's squad eventually cut the lead to three with 9:10 left in the final half, 9-6, as they scored three of the next four goals; Jessica Borucki (Westminster, Md./North Carroll) scored twice while Kathrina DeMaio (Livingston, N.J./Mount Saint Dominic Academy) added another.
- The Royals (5-4, 1-0 Landmark) notched the final three goals of the game, putting a stop to any comeback.
- Borucki and DeMaio led the Gophers (6-5, 1-1 Landmark) in scoring with two goals each while Dani McCreary (Upper Marlboro, Md./Bishop McNamara) and Smith added one a piece in the loss.
- Defensively, the Gophers finished with three caused turnovers; two from Lauren Pirrung (New Windsor, Md./Francis Scott Key) and another from Jojo Franklin (Denver, Colo./Kent Denver School).
Goucher welcomes Elizabethtown to Beldon Field on Saturday. The opening draw is set for 12 p.m.