Below is a Question and Answer with Goucher College women's lacrosse senior Gabrielle Umstead, who is also a member of SAAC. She appeared in 41 games including 32 starts with 32 goals and 18 assists for 50 points in her career. This year, she posted seven goals and three assists for 10 points. Umstead posted a season-high four goals in a 15-5 win against Neumann on March 7.
Getting to Know You…
- Where's the next place on your travel bucket list and why? Croatia. I had plans to go while I was studying abroad in Berlin but never did. Plus, I want to see the Game of Thrones sets.
- What was the last show you binge-watched? Bones
- Do you have a favorite holiday? Why or why not? I don't love holidays because I think they're so stressful sometimes, but my favorite is probably New Year's because it's all about fresh starts and new beginnings.
- What song always gets you on the dance floor? Dancing Queen by ABBA
- Do you hit the snooze button or wake up immediately? Depends on the day, but usually wake up right away.
- When making a PB&J sandwich, do you put on the peanut butter of jelly first? Peanut butter, and it goes on both sides so the bread doesn't get soggy.
- If you could own a mythical creature (unicorn, phoenix, etc.), which one would you pick? Dragon.
- What can you eat for a week straight? Peanut butter and jelly.
- Favorite superhero/heroine and why? Spiderman
- Does pineapple belong on pizza? Absolutely.
Why did you decide to attend (school)?
I chose Goucher because I felt like the coach who recruited me (who I didn't end up playing for) saw potential in me that no other coach had. I also loved the team and was so excited to play alongside a lot of the girls I met on my overnight visit, though most of them transferred when the coach left. I stayed at Goucher because of the professors, especially those in the international relations and German departments, who made Goucher feel like home. They constantly challenged and supported me in both academics and athletics.
What makes being a Division III student-athlete special?
Division III is particularly special because the athletes you find there are truly, deeply passionate about their sport. There's nothing else in it for them, There's no scholarships, little potential for professional play, no free gear and benefits, a lot less attention and glory. DIII athletes have no other reason to play than for the love of the sport.
What is the best advice you can give another athlete?
Don't forget to enjoy it. Don't get so caught up in stats and records and fitness tests that you forget you have an incredible privilege. You have an opportunity most people never will. You don't need to be the best to have the most fun.
This or That…
- Morning, noon, or night? Night
- Burgers or tacos? Tacos
- Pool or ocean? Ocean
- Marvel or DC? Marvel
- Star Wars or Star Trek? Star Wars