SANLANDO, Fla. – Goucher College women's tennis opened up its spring trip in Orlando with a non-conference loss to North Central (Ill.) on Monday.
Anais Gill (Cambridge, England/Hills Road Sixth Form College) lost a three-set thriller at No. 1 singles. The freshman won the first set 6-3 and then lost the second set by the identical score and then lost the third set by a 12-10 margin.
Kyoko Kinoshita (Tokyo, Japan/Tilton School [N.H.] also went three sets at No. 5 singles. She won the first set 6-3 and then lost 6-0, 10-2.
Mandile Mpofu (Harare, Zimbabwe/Arundel School) lost 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2 singles and Tes DeJaegar (Norwalk, Conn./Brien McMahon) dropped a 6-1, 7-5 match at No. 3 singles. Haddie Hill (San Antonio, Texas/The Episcopal School) battled tough at No. 4 singles in a 7-5, 6-4 loss and Meera Balasubramanian (Bel Air, Md./Oldfields School) lost 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6 singles.
Gill and Mpofu lost 8-2 at No. 1 doubles, DeJaeger and Ali Gorson-Morrow (Broomall, Pa./Barrack Hebrew Academy) lost 8-1 at No. 2 doubles and Morgan Hartman (Woodstock, Vt./Woodstock Union) and Katie Marzerka (Woldeboro, N.H./Kingswood Regional) fell 8-4 at No. 3 doubles. North Central won the match, 9-0.
Goucher returns to action on Tuesday against Calvin. Match will be at 3 p.m. at the USTA National Campus.
1. Hougland, Hannah/Kanthaphixay, Alaina (NCC) def. Anais Gill/Mandile Mpofu (GC) 8-2
2. Barcelata, Diana/McGraw, Katie (NCC) def. Tes DeJaeger/Ali Gorson-Morrow (GC) 8-1
3. House, Morgan/Smolik, Tiffany (NCC) def. Morgan Hartman/Katie Marzerka (GC) 8-4
1. Barcelata, Diana (NCC) def. Anais Gill (GC) 3-6, 6-3, 12-10
2. Hougland, Hannah (NCC) def. Mandile Mpofu (GC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Kanthaphixay, Alaina (NCC) def. Tes DeJaeger (GC) 6-1, 7-5
4. McGraw, Katie (NCC) def. Haddie Hill (GC) 7-5, 6-4
5. House, Morgan (NCC) def. Kyoko Kinoshita (GC) 3-6, 6-0, 10-2
6. Smolik, Tiffany (NCC) def. Meera Balasubramanian (GC) 6-2, 6-0