ORLANDO, Fla. – Calvin College defeated Goucher College at the USTA National Campus in Orlando in non-conference women's tennis action on Tuesday.
"Despite the team scores in our recent matches, we are improving every match," said head coach Steve Baum. "This trip was meant to challenge us physically and mentally. The teams we are playing are top on their conference and that is the level of play we are working toward. Everyone has been playing hard and these matches will only make us us better in the end."
At No. 3 doubles, Kyoko Kinoshita (Tokoyo, Japan/Tilton School [N.H.]) and Ali Gorson-Morrow (Broomall, Pa./Barrack Hebrew Academy) played a close match in an 8-6 loss. Anais Gill (Cambridge, England/Hills Road Sixth Form College) and Mandile Mpofu (Harare, Zimbabwe/Arundel School) fell 8-2 at No. 1 doubles and Tes DeJaeger (Norwalk, Conn./Brien McMahon) and Haddie Hill (San Antonio, Texas/The Episcopal School of Texas) lost 8-4 at No. 2 doubles.
Gill fell at No. 1 singles, 6-4, 6-4 and DeJaegar dropped a 6-0, 6-0 match at No. 2 singles while Katie Marzerka (Wolfeboro, N.H./Kingswood Regional) lost 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 singles. Kinoshita dropped a 6-2, 6-1 match t No. 4 singles, Gorson-Morrow lost 6-2, 6-1 at No. 5 singles and Sara Healy (Waterford, Va./Woodgrove) lost 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6 singles. Calvin won the match, 9-0
Goucher wraps up its Florida swing against SUNY New Paltz on Wednesday. Match time is 10 a.m. in Sanlando, Fla..
1. Leah Newhof/Madeline Brouwer (CAL-W) def. Anais Gill/Mandile Mpofu (GC) 8-2
2. Alexis Bonner/Maria Poortenga (CAL-W) def. Tes DeJaeger/Haddie Hill (GC) 8-4
3. Maya Klopfenstein/Alexis Ganop (CAL-W) def. Kyoko Kinoshita/Ali Gorson-Morrow (GC) 8-6
1. Leah Newhof (CAL-W) def. Anais Gill (GC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Madeline Brouwer (CAL-W) def. Tes DeJaeger (GC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Maria Poortenga (CAL-W) def. Katie Marzerka (GC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Maya Klopfenstein (CAL-W) def. Kyoko Kinoshita (GC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Grace Brown (CAL-W) def. Ali Gorson-Morrow (GC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Brittney Statema (CAL-W) def. Sara Healy (GC) 6-1, 6-1