BALTIMORE, Md. – Morgan Hartman (Woodstock, Vt./Woodstock Union) helped secure Goucher College's first Landmark Conference victory of the season with her victory at No. 5 singles to propel the Gophers to a 6-3 decision against Drew University in women's tennis action on Saturday.
Hartman and Ali Gorson-Morrow (Broomall, Pa./Barrack Hebrew Academy) got the team started in the right direction with an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles for the first team point of the afternoon. Goucher jumped out to a 4-1 lead before the Rangers came back with two wins to put pressure on Hartman at No. 5 singles and Sara Healy (Waterford, Va./Woodgrove) at No. 6 singles in order to pull out the win.
Hartman won in straight sets 6-0, 6-1 to clinch at least a 5-4 decision, but Healy also won at No. 6 singles 6-4, 6-3 to give the Gophers the 6-3 victory in the league opener.
Haddie Hill (San Antonio, Texas/The Episcopal School of Texas) and Kyoko Kinoshita (Tokyo, Japan/Tilton School [N.H.]) lost 8-3 at No. 2 doubles to tie the match at 1, but Anais Gill (Cambridge, England/Hills Road Sixth Form College) and Tes DeJaeger (Norwalk, Conn./Brien McMahon) handed Goucher a 2-1 lead going into singles play with an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles
Kinoshita and Gill extended the Gophers lead to 4-1 after winning their singles matches. Kinoshita won at No. 3 singles 6-1, 6-0 and Gill took care of business at No. 1 singles 6-4, 6-3.
Gorson-Morrow dropped her match at No 4 singles 6-0, 6-4 and DeJaeger fell 6-4, 6-4 at No. 2 singles to cut the team advantage to 4-3, but Hartman and Healy earned wins at No. 5 and No. 6 to seal the win.
Goucher returns to action on Sunday against Scranton. Match time is 1 p.m.
1. Anais Gill (GC) def. Ashley Camel (DC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Cristina Riccio (DC) def. Tes DeJaeger (GC) 6-4, 6-4
3. Kyoko Kinoshita (GC) def. C. Christodoulou (DC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Marwa Elessaway (DC) def. Ali Gorson-Morrow (GC) 6-0, 6-4
5. Morgan Hartman (GC) def. Kate Gangi (DC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Sara Healy (GC) def. Sarah Noel Jeune (DC) 6-4, 6-3
1. Anais Gill/Tes DeJaeger (GC) def. Cristina Riccio/C. Christodoulou (DC) 8-3
2. Ashley Camel/Marwa Elessaway (DC) def. Haddie Hill/Kyoko Kinoshita (GC) 8-3
3. Ali Gorson-Morrow/Morgan Hartman (GC) def. Kate Gangi/Sarah Noel Jeune (DC) 8-3