TOWSON, Md. - The Goucher men's lacrosse team (3-2) defeated Centre College (3-2), 10-9, Saturday afternoon on Beldon Field.
The entire game was back and forth action between the two teams, who were playing in blustery conditions at Beldon Field. Throughout the game, neither team found themselves up by more than two goals, and by the end of the third quarter, the score was tied 8-8.
With nine minutes to go in regulation, sophomore Matt Woodson (Timonium, Md.) found junior Zephan Harnish (Woodsboro, Md.) on the right wing, as Harnish fired a shot that found the top of the net to put the Gophers in the lead, 9-8.
But, the lead for Goucher was short-lived, as a minute later, Centre's Dominic Nayan tied up the game with a goal at 9-9.
- Sophomore midfielder Nick Patterson (East Lansing, Mich.) won 16-22 face-offs and nabbed 12 ground balls.
- On the defensive end, senior Peter Cost (Berwyn, Pa.) had one ground ball and four caused turnovers. Senior Jack Benziger (Yardley, Pa.) also had four ground balls, as well.
- Woodson had three goals, two assists, and three ground balls.
- Of Centre's 18 turnovers, 14 of them were caused by Goucher
- Goucher went 12-of-12 in clears, while Centre was 15-23.
- The Gophers won the ground ball game, scooping up 33 compared to 24 for Centre.
- Centre's Padraic Dermody scored three goals for the Colonels.
- In goal for the Colonels', Sam Long had 18 saves out of the 28 shots he faced.
The Goucher College men's lacrosse team returns to action on Wednesday, traveling to Messiah. Face-off is set for 7 p.m.