ORLANDO, Fla. – Brian Kane (Philadelphia, Pa./Friends Select) won at No. 6 singles to clinch a 5-4 victory for Goucher College against Grinnell College at the USTA National Campus in non-conference men's tennis action on Monday.
With the Gophers holding a 4-3 lead, Kane finished a 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles to hand the team the victory in the first match of a four-match Florida swing.
Goucher jumped out to a 2-1 team lead thanks to Frankie Mullinix (Washington, D.C./The George School) and Elliot Diehl (York, Pa./Surburban) winning at No. 2 doubles 8-7 (7-5) and Omosesan Adebamgbe (Philadelphia, Pa.//Lower Merion) and Slade Dumas (Great Falls, Va./Dominion) taking the No. 3 doubles match 8-6.
Dumas won at No. 5 singles 6-1, 6-1 and Herman won a three-set thriller 4-6, 6-1, 15-13 to give the Gophers a 4-1 lead.
Ota lost 6-0, 5-7, 10-4 at No. 1 singles and Adebamgbe fell 6-4, 6-1 at No. 4 singles to bring Grinnell within one team point at 4-3 before Kane won his No. 6 singles match to swing the victory Goucher's way.
Mullinix dropped a 6-4, 7-5 decision at No. 3 singles to close out the match.
The Gophers return to action on Tuesday at the USTA National Campus with two matches. Goucher battles Hope College at 3 p.m. followed by a match against Stevens at 6:30 p.m.
1. Ben Cobin/Bowen Mince (GC) def. Michael Herman/Tetsuya Ota (GOUCHER) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Frankie Mullinix/Elliot Diehl (GOUCHER) def. Sam Stickels/M.Conlin-Brandenburg (GC) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Omosesan Adebamgbe/Slade Dumas (GOUCHER) def. Zach Lane/George Kaslow (GC) 8-6
1. Bowen Mince (GC) def. Tetsuya Ota (GOUCHER) 6-0, 5-7, 10-4
2. Michael Herman (GOUCHER) def. Zach Lane (GC) 4-6, 6-1, 15-13
3. Sam Stickels (GC) def. Frankie Mullinix (GOUCHER) 6-4, 7-5
4. Ben Cobin (GC) def. Omosesan Adebamgbe (GOUCHER) 6-4, 6-1
5. Slade Dumas (GOUCHER) def. Jack Lunn (GC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Brian Kane (GOUCHER) def. Henry Johnson (GC) 7-5, 6-1