ORLANDO, Fla. – Slade Dumas (Great Falls, Va./Dominion) won two matches including the team-clinching match at No. 5 singles to lift Goucher College past Hope College 5-3 in non-conference men's tennis action on Tuesday.
After teaming up with Omosesan Adebamgbe (Philadelphia, Pa./Lower Merion) to win at No. 3 doubles by a score of 8-5, Dumas was the fifth win for the Gophers with a straight-set decision at No. 5 singles, 6-3, 6-1.
Tetsuya Ota (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Saddlebrook Prep) and Michael Herman (Prague, Czech Republic/Gymnazium Nova Porg) helped Goucher take two of three in doubles with an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles. Ota won at No. 1 singles in straight sets 6-3, 7-5 while Herman took care of No. 2 singles in three sets. Herman won the first set by a score of 6-2 and then lost the second set by the identical score before taking the third set 10-5.
The Flying Dutchmen won at No. 2 doubles over Frankie Mullinix (Washington, D.C./The George School) and Elliot Diehl (York, Pa./York Surburban), 8-6. Mullinix fell 6-4, 4-6, 10-4 at No. 3 singles and Adegamgbe lost 6-2, 6-1 at No. 4 singles. Dumas then won in straight sets at No. 5 singles to clinch the victory against the three-time defending Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association champions. Brian Kane's (Philadelphia, Pa./Friends Select) was leading his No. 6 singles match 5-3, but was halted after the Dumas' clinching victory.
In the Goucher second match of the day, Stevens Institute of Technology leads 2-1 before the match was suspended and scheduled to resume on Wednesday at 4 p.m.
Dumas and Adebamgbe earned the lone win in doubles with an 8-6 decision at No. 3 doubles. Ota and Herman fell 8-2 at No. 1 doubles and Mullinix and Diehl lost 8-6 at No. 2 doubles.
Herman (4-2) at No. 2 singles, Mullinix (2-1) at No. 3 singles, Dumas (5-0) at No. 5 singles and Kane (4-0) are currently leading their singles matches. Adebamgbe (3-3) is tied at No. 4 singles while Ota (4-2) currently trails at No. 1 singles.
Results Against Hope College
1. (GC) Tetsuya Ota/Michael Herman defeats (HC) Mark VanderStoep/Danny Kroeze, 8-6
2. (HC) Tim Roe/Michael Kiley defeats (GC) Frankie Mullinix/Elliot Diehl, 8-6
3. (GC) Omosesan Adebamgbe/Slade Dumas defeats (HC) David Bacon/Carter Smiley, 8-5
1. (GC) Tetsuya Ota defeats (HC) Mark VanderStoep, 6-3. 7-5
2. (GC) Michael Herman defeats (HC) Tim Roe 6-2, 2-6, 10-5
3. (HC) Michael Kiley defeats (GC) Frankie Mullinix, 6-4, 2-6, 10-4
4. (HC) Danny Kroeze defeats (GC) Omosesan Adebamgbe, 6-2, 6-1
5. (GC) Slade Dumas defeats Alec Berrodin, 6-3, 6-1
6. (GC) Brian Kane led (HC) Carter Smiley, 5-3 (UNFINISHED)