ORLANDO, Fla. – Omosesan Adebamgbe (Philadelphia, Pa./Lower Merion) rallied from one set down to earn a three-set victory at No. 4 singles to clinch a 5-4 decision for Goucher College against Steven Institute of Technology in non-conference men's tennis action on Wednesday.
The match was suspended last night with the Ducks holding a 2-1 edge after doubles play. Five of the six singles matches were started with the Gophers leading three, tied with one match and trailing one match.
Adebamgbe lost the first set 6-4, but then came back to win the second set 6-3 and then took the match with a 10-6 third set to help the team to its third-straight win against teams that participated in the NCAA Division III Tournament last season.
Adebamgbe and Slade Dumas (Great Falls, Va./Dominion) earned the doubles win with a 8-6 decision at No. 3 doubles.
Frankie Mullinix (Washington, D.C./The George School) tied the team match with a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 3 singles and then Dumas won his No. 5 singles 6-0, 6-4. Brian Kane (Philadelphia, Pa./Friends Select) won a three-set match 6-1, 2-6, 10-7 to give Goucher a 4-2 lead.
Tetsuya Ota (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Saddlebrook Prep) lost 6-2, 6-3 at No. 1 singles and Michael Herman (Prague, Czech Republic/Gymnazium Nova Porg) fell 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 at No. 2 singles to tie the match at 4. Adebamgbe then won his No. 4 singles match to clinch the win.
Ota and Herman lost 8-2 last night at No. 1 singles and Mullinix and Elliot Diehl (York, Pa./York Suburban) dropped an 8-6 decion at No. 2 singles.
The Gophers have won all three matches in Florida by a 5-4 decision, but each team was in the NCAA Tournament last year and won a game just like Goucher. The Gophers defeated Grinnell on Monday, Hope on Tuesday and now Stevens on Wednesday.
Goucher wraps up the Florida swing against Hameline on Thursday. Match time is 11:30 a.m. from the USTA National Campus.
1. (ST) Bryan Szayna/Marc Felix Gomez defeats Tetsuya Ota/Michael Herman, 8-2
2. (ST) Mark Kanevslay/Arjun Krishman defeats (GC) Frankie Mullinix/Elliot Diehl, 8-6
3. (GC) Omosesan Adebamgbe/Slade Dumas defeats (ST) Mark Pabalan/Garrett Kincaid, 8-6
1. (ST) Marc Felix Gomez defeats (GC) Tetsuya Ota, 6-2, 6-3
2. (ST) Mark Kanevsky defeats (GC) Michael Herman, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
3. (GC) Frankie Mullinix defeats (ST) Arjun Krishman, 6-1, 6-2
4. (GC) Omosesan Adebamgbe defeats Mark Pabalan, 4-6, 6-3, 10-6
5. (GC) Slade Dumas defeats (ST) Garrett Kincaid, 6-0, 6-4
6. (GC) Brian Kane defeats (ST) Elui Pardier, 6-1, 2-6, 10-7