ORLANDO, Fla. – The Goucher College men's tennis team capped off a 4-0 week at the USTA National Campus with a win against Hamline College in non-conference men's tennis action on Thursday. After winning the first three matches with five team points and three different Gophers registering the clinching victory, Goucher defeated the Pipers by a score of 7-2 with Elliot Diehl (York, Pa./York Suburban) sealing the victory.
"We ended up taking out three regionally ranked teams, one nationally ranked opponent and finished our trip with a 4-0 record," said head coach Eric Spangler. "After we return to Maryland, we are going to get back to work to be ready for Landmark Conference play."
Diehl won his No. 6 singles in straight sets 6-4, 6-0 to earn the squad's fifth individual match of the day and clinch the team victory. Diehl was the fourth different player to win the decisive match following Brian Kane (Philadelphia, Pa./Friends Select) against Grinnell College on Monday, Slade Dumas (Great Falls, Va./Dominion) against Hope College on Tuesday and Omosesan Adebamgbe (Philadelphia, Pa./Lower Merion) against Stevens Institute of Technology on Wednesday.
"Assistant coach Peter Hawkins played a huge role especially during decisive matches sharing his knowledge to help our guys find success," said Spangler.
Goucher jumped out to a 2-1 lead after doubles against Hamline. Frankie Mullinix (Washington, D.C./The George School) and Diehl took the No. 2 doubles match 8-5 and Adebamgbe and Dumas won at No. 3 doubles 8-5.
Dumas then won at No. 4 singles 6-1, 6-1 and Mullinix earned a 6-1, 6-2 decision at No. 3 singles.
After Ota lost 6-2, 6-0 at No. 1 singles, Diehl earned a straight-set win to clinch the team victory.
Kane added a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles and Herman earned a three-set victory, 5-7, 6-1, 10-8 to complete a 7-2 win.
"I'm very proud of the guys for training hard during the cold season and utilizing what we have practiced during our difficult spring break schedule," said the first-year head coach.
Dumas had the best four days in the Sunshine State, going 4-0 in singles and 4-0 with Adebamgbe in doubles. Kane went 3-0 in singles and Herman registered a 3-1 mark in singles action.
Goucher returns from Florida back to the Old Line state to battle Ursinus College on Saturday. Match time is 12 p.m.
1. (HC) Jake Trondson/Tou Ger Xiong defeats (GC) Tetsuya Ota/Michael Herman, 8-3
2. (GC) Frankie Mullinix/Elliot Diehl defeats (HC) Levi Duwenhoegger/Cory Penick, 8-5
3. (GC) Omosesan Adebamgbe/Slade Dumas defeats (HC) Elias Ramirez/Nazeer Robinson, 8-5
1. (HC) Jake Trondson defeats (GC) Tetsuya Ota, 6-2, 6-0
2. (GC) Michael Herman defeats (HC) Elias Ramirez, 5-7, 6-1, 10-8
3. (GC) Frankie Mullinix defeats (HC) Naz Robinson, 6-1, 6-2
4. (GC) Slade Dumas defeats (HC) Tou Ger Xiong, 6-1, 6-1
5. (GC) Brian Kane defeats (HC) Andrew Argeros, 6-1, 6-1
6. (GC) Elliot Diehl defeats (HC) Gabriel Lopez, 6-4, 6-0