BALTIMORE, Md. – Rutgers-Camden edged Goucher College 5-4 in the season-opening match for the Gophers in non-conference women's tennis action on Sunday.
Anais Gill (Cambridge, England/Hills Road Sixth Form College) and Mandile Mpofu (Harare, Zimbabwe/Arundel School), a 2019 All-Landmark Conference second-team performer, picked up where they left off last year with an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles.
Gill won 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 at No. 1 singles and Mpofu took care of business at No. 2 singles 6-4, 6-0.
Ceri McCaffrey (Ardsley, N.Y./Ardsley) had a successful collegiate debut with a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 4 singles.
Rutgers-Camden took two of three in doubles and then won at No. 6, No. 5 and No. 3 singles to secure the match.
McCaffrey and Ali Gorson-Morrow (Broomall, Pa./Barrack Hebrew Academy) fell 8-5 at No. 2 doubles while Kyoko Kinoshita (Tokyo, Japan/Tilton School [N.H.] and Katie Marzerka (Wolfeboro, N.H./Kingswood Regional) took their No. 3 doubles match to a tiebreaker and lost 8-7 (7-3).
Marzerka lost 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3 singles, Kinoshita fell 6-3, 6-1 at No. 5 singles and Sara Healy (Waterford, Va./Woodgrove) dropped a 6-1, 6-0 decision at No. 6 singles.
Goucher returns to action at Dickinson on Saturday. Match time is 11 a.m.
1. (GC) Anais Gill/Mandile Mpofu defeats (RC) Danielle Lemma/Tiffany Trivers, 8-3
2. (RC) Aubrey Hawn/Leanne Hall defeats (GC) Ali Gorson-Morrow/Ceri McCaffrey, 8-5
3. (RC) Laurel Distafano/Morgan Dempsey defeats (GC) Kyoko Kinoshita/Katie Marzerka, 8-7 (7-3)
1. (GC) Anais Gill defeats (RC) Aubrey Hawn, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. (GC) Mandile Mpofu defeats (RC) Tiffany Trivers, 6-4, 6-0
3. (RC) Laurel Distafano defeats (GC) Katie Marzerka, 6-3, 6-4
4. (GC) Ceri McCaffrey defeats (RC) Leanne Hall, 6-2, 7-5
5. (RC) Danielle Lemma defeats (GC) Kyoko Kinoshita, 6-3, 6-1
6. (RC) Morgan Dempsey defeats (GC) Sara Healy, 6-1, 6-0